Diverse Case Presentations of Monkeypox in NYC
Dennis M. Feihel, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Retroviral Disease
Northwell Health, New York, NY
Peter J. Meacher, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Callen-Lorde Community Health Center, New York, NY
Baturalp Baserdem, MD
Director Clinical Program Development, LGBTQIA2+ Health
Northwell Health Physician Partners, New York, NY
Jonathan Baker, PA-C
Operations Director of Clinical Research
Laser Surgery Care, New York, NY
Videos of live meetings of PRN in NYC are owned and published by Physicians’ Research Network, Inc. Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved.
Click here to take the CME Evaluation and Post-Meeting Survey
Dr. Dennis Feihel
completed medical school at SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. He then did his internal medicine residency at Northwell Health- Lenox Hill Hospital, where he also served as Chief Medical Resident. He now works at Northwell Health and is an AAHIVM certified HIV Specialist. He practices general LGBT and HIV-focused primary care.
is a family physician specializing in HIV and serves as the Chief Medical Officer at Callen-Lorde. In this role, Peter oversees all clinical services and ensures that all our patients receive the highest standard of medical care. He has been at Callen-Lorde for eight years and has worked in LGBT health for more than 20, previously in a community health center within Montefiore Medical Center where he trained. His approach to his patients’ healthcare includes harm reduction, joint decision making, and supporting patients using complementary therapies.
Dr. Batu Baserdem
delivers specialized, affirming healthcare that celebrates the fullness of our community. Most of his patients identify as cis homosexual gay men and (as in our community as a whole) many of his patients identify in ways that span gender expression, gender identity, and gender fluidity - from nonbinary gender X, transgender, and gender nonconforming as well as LGBTQIA2S+.
He began his medical career in his hometown Istanbul, Turkey at the highly prestigious Marmara University School of Medicine. He moved to New York City to complete his Internal Medicine Residency at Lenox Hill Hospital, and now call New York his home.
(he/him) is a PA and Operations Director of Clinical Research at Laser Surgery Care in New York City specializing in anal pathology with a focus on HPV and other STIs. He conducts NIH-funded and industry sponsored clinical research. He is the Immediate Past President of the New York State Society of PAs. He also served in the recent past as a president of the LBGT PA Caucus and AAPA Liaison to GLMA. Jonathan is a frequent CME speaker on topics of anorectal pathology, STIs, HIV prevention, and sexual and gender diversity. He regularly publishes in various peer-reviewed journals and received the AAPA Award in Clinical Publishing in 2015.
At the completion of this educational session, participants will:
1. Be aware of the diverse signs and symptoms of monkeypox.
2. Understand that monkeypox may be asymptomatic.
3. Know the current up-to-date diagnosis, management, and prevention of monkeypox infection.
This CME activity has approved for AMA PRA Category 1.0 Credit™
for October 19, 2022, as a live activity.
This activity will also be available as an enduring activity from October 20, 2022, through October 18, 2025.
The target audience is all physicians, NPs and PAs involved or interested in HIV education.
This online video and post-activity evaluation are one hour in length.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY) and the Physicians’ Research Network (PRN). MSSNY is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Medical Society of the State of New York designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to one (1.0) Medical Knowledge MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
Policies and standards of the Medical Society of the State of New York and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education require that speakers and planners for continuing medical education activities disclose any relevant financial relationships they may have with commercial interests whose products, devices, or services may be discussed in the content of a CME activity.
- Dr. Braun (Course Director) has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- Dr. Valenti (Moderator/Panelist) has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- Drs. Peter J. Meacher, Dennis M. Feihel, and Marcia Wong (Presenters) have no relevant financial relationships to disclose and will submit their slides in advance for adequate peer review and will support their presentations and clinical recommendations with the best available evidence from the medical literature.
- Dr. Baturalp Baserdem (Presenter) has had the following personal financial relationships in the past 24 months with manufacturers of the products or services that may be presented in this CME activity: Advisory Board Member to: Pfizer. Dr. Baserdem will submit their slides in advance for adequate peer review and will support their presentation and clinical recommendations with the best available evidence from the medical literature. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
- PA Jonathan Baker (Presenter) has had the following personal financial relationships in the past 24 months with manufacturers of the products or services that may be presented in this CME activity: Salary support for research from: Merck, and Inovio Pharmaceuticals. PA Baker will submit their slides in advance for adequate peer review and will support their presentation and clinical recommendations with the best available evidence from the medical literature. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
This PRN CME activity is funded in part by unrestricted educational grants from:
Gilead Sciences; Janssen Therapeutics, a division of Janssen Products, LP; Merck & Co.; and ViiV Healthcare
Click here to take the CME Evaluation and Post-Meeting Evaluation